Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default riding mower on hill - how easy to flip?

clipped

A) "could hit nearby consumers". Apparently only consumers' safety
is important. If you don't have have money, it's ok if objects hit
you.

B) I'd like to know what plastic parts could crack and what objects
could be ejected. Once I went over my yard a could times, there was
nothing new to hit. Plus it happens there is never anyone around when
I mow my lawn.

The CPSC is pretty much obliged to take a hard line, but everything
has its risks. If I had kids who ddn't know how to stay away from the
mower discharge, or mowed by a sidewalk or street where people walked
or often drove, and I had reason to think there could be stones in my
yard, etc. I'd sell it to someone who wasn't in that situation. I'd
tell him about the recall and expect to get not much money.

We had a neighbor in our condo whose small child like to throw rock out
into the law - the mower picked one up and it broke the slider on second
floor above us. It sounded like a car had hit the building.

When I worked in operating room, we regularly had foot and hand injuries
from mowers - folks push mowers uphill and it rolls back, or they try to
grab something from underneath - really hard to imagine - while it is
running.

Just in the past week or so, there was a guy killed mowing near a pond
in a park. Mower rolled over into the pond with him under it. All one
needs on a hill is a soft spot of ground, even without steep incline, to
roll it over.