Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roundup For Weeds, Or... ? (what's really safe ?)

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"J.A. Michel" wrote in message

"Norminn" wrote in message
ink.net...
Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Have a gravel layer over the soil in front yard.
Of course, weeds, crabgrass, dandelions, etc, poke their way up thru
it, here and there.

But, also have some real nice trees, bushes, and plantings in it also.

What can I use very safely to spray the weeds, etc.

There is Roundup of course, and all sorts of other products similar to
it.

Any recommendations on what might be "totally" safe ?
Would like to be able to spray pretty close to the "good stuff" also,
if possible ?

Thanks,
Bob
How large an area? Gravel has been outlawed here, but river rock on
top of landscape cloth is good where stuff won't grow. Doesn't support
weeds as long as it doesn't have soil dumped on it. The few weeds that
do sprout are easy to pull. I would consider changing over to rock and
landscape cloth, or to beds of native plants or non-agressive ground
cover (like hosta). Beds of day lily, hosta, iris, are low maint. and
look good. Trying to kill weeds is a waste - if nothing else, plant
attractive ones )

We have River Rock Beds exactly as you describe at our house. We have
Hostas, Iris, and other stuff in it. Unfortunately, that damn cloth
ain't worth a sh*t.

You bought a lousy product. The right stuff works fine for many years.
Where did you buy yours?

We had a guy put it in for us last year. I'm not sure where he got it.

My favorite garden store (Agway) has 3 levels of fabric quality available.
They're clearly marked as to life expectancy. One suggests permanence you
won't be around to see. Find a real garden store that stocks various types.