Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Bob Urz Bob Urz is offline

Default LEDs as lamp replacements

Bob Urz wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

Here's a really interesting site

http://www.oksolar.com/led/led_color_chart.htm

Follow the various page links to the chromaticity chart, and " More
information on LEDs" at the bottom. I didn't realise that they were
already in use in street lighting. There is mention of higher colour
temperatures improving human night vision. There is also an
interesting LED colour chart, which shows one at 4500K called
"incandescent". A couple of years back, I was in Disney when they put
on a show in front of the Magic Castle. There was a stage spot set up
on the top of a pole, projecting a brilliant white beam of
considerable strength. I didn't take much notice of it, until it
suddenly changed colour. During the show, it produced a whole range of
colours, but I couldn't see that the enclosure was anything like big
enough to accommodate a coloured gel wheel. I remember wondering at
the time, if this had been implemented using very high power RGB LEDs.
I suppose that it is also possible that it could have been a plasma
lamp with dichroic mirrors and LCD panels. Are any LEDs actually
powerful enough to make stage lighting from ? Can they be mounted in
any way that allows light collection and direction through beam
forming optics ?

Arfa

LED's are being used for stage lighting, but not in the high power
movers or Ellipsoid's (YET). WHat you probably saw was a martin MAC2000
or such at disney. They have full color mixing onboard VIA DMX

http://www.martin.com/product/produc...MAC2000Profile

THere are some interesting new LED stage lighting also:

http://www.martin.com/productsubgrou...=ledluminaires
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/LED_20Stage_20Lights
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/news/4/7/1

BOB