Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.linux.hardware,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
[email protected] panteltje@yahoo.com is offline

Default Finding GPIO pins on motherboard

On 12 jul, 21:13, wrote:
Yo,

I've just started working with Linksys routers and loading open source
Linux on them for an enhanced feature set and I've found problem lies
with the limited amount of flash memory that these units have. To
increase the router's available flash, you have to hack the mother
board by finding the GPIO pins and running wires from them to an SD
slot. The instructions for this procedure for the WRT54G with a
BROADCOM BCM47are hehttp://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/...g/Hardware/MMC

My problem is that I have a newer WRT350N router with a BROADCOM 4705
cpu. What would be a generalized procedure for finding the GPIO pins
for this motherboard?

Thanx,
Ed

I did it on a WAP54G V31 (the link to my site is on the above link),
and
for the SDcard you need 4 basic signals, DI DO Clock and CE.
The obvious was to use the LEDs (2 are on a GPIO port) and switches.
Problem was there were only 2, SES and reset switch.
In this version Linksys polls the reset and SES switches!!
The polling routines (that are non-GPL anyways) need to be removed..
so
the GPIOs can be used.
Maybe that model of yours has more switches.
To find which GPIO is connected to what, you need to make a serial
port connection, or a telnet connection by uploading new firmware,
then
run gpio from that.
There is a gpio.c test routine C source you can download:
http://downloads.openwrt.org/people/nbd/tmp/gpio.c a gpio test
routine that you
Here you can read more about using it:
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=7839

Download the Linksys sources for your box from
http://www-au.linksys.com/servlet/Sa...2FVis itorWra

and make sure you can compile it, and have a backup of the firmware.
The best is if you can make a backup of the whole FLASH via JTAG,
but I dunno if there is JTAG soft for your box, I had to modify some
to make it
work on my processor, see my site.
Without the JTAG debrick I would have had to throw my box in the
trash....
It stopped working after downloading _others_ firmware from the web.
This because mine had only 2 MB FLASH,.
Be warned.
More he
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/wap54g/index.html