Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.linux.hardware,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc

Default Finding GPIO pins on motherboard

hath wroth:

Yo,

I've just started working with Linksys routers and loading open source
Linux on them for an enhanced feature set and I've found problem lies
with the limited amount of flash memory that these units have. To
increase the router's available flash, you have to hack the mother
board by finding the GPIO pins and running wires from them to an SD
slot. The instructions for this procedure for the WRT54G with a
BROADCOM BCM47are he
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/...g/Hardware/MMC

My problem is that I have a newer WRT350N router with a BROADCOM 4705
cpu. What would be a generalized procedure for finding the GPIO pins
for this motherboard?

From the above URL, I find:
A good way to test the pin allocations is with the gpio utility
and a script to toggle the GPIO pin periodically, then search for
the pin with a digital multimeter or oscilloscope probe. I toggled
the pins with the following single line in the shell (example for
GPIO 5):

while true
do
gpio enable 5
sleep 1
gpio disable 5
sleep 1
done

(Note that I fixe the shell script syntax slightly)

Basically, run the GPIO utility supplied, run the above script, get
out your oscillosocpe, and start testing pins. There's a chance that
the GPIP utility might not work, but you'll find out soon enough.

I think this is one case where trial and error might be more useful
than digging for the info. If all else fails, find someone with a
Broadcom 4705?? data sheet, that hasn't signed an NDA, and it should
show the pins on the pinout diagram.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D