Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Graham Graham is offline

Default Circuit breaker trip puzzle

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:32:40 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

If it only happened the once I would be inclined to leave it. There
are a whole heap of things that can cause it trip, most of which are
one time only events that dissappear as soon as it happens, such as
power spikes. I would only investgate it heavily if it was tripping
regually ( once a month) and causing a nusance, otherwise your not
likely to find a fault. As for plugging the freezer into the cooker,
go ahead, it is common (and considered good practice) to provide a
single socket that is not RCD protected and on its own breaker for it,
Although that won't be allowed under the next regs, you will however
be able to plug it in in the bathroom......

Graham

Is that a joke, or a serious comment for your neck of the woods ?

Arfa

Unfortunately not, under the next revision of the regs (17th edition)
(proposed) socket outlets are permitted providing they are 3 m from a
bath or shower and RCD protected. Currently no sockets can be
installed in a room containing a bath or shower no matter how big the
room is. It's mainly for B&B's and hotels that have a shower in the
corner of the room. The rest of Europe has allowed them for many
years. Local bonding in a bathroom has also been axed if all circuits
in the bathroom are RCD protected.

I see a few RCD's fail every year, either taking too long trip or not
tripping at all. I will not be installing sockets in bathrooms (except
hotel rooms) and I will continue to do bonding regardless of whether
or not the circuits have a RCD protection!

Please note that the 17th edition is still in draft stage and may be
subject to change on final release. For anyone interested the current
draft copy can be found he

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/DPC/index.cfm

Graham