Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Gordon Dave Gordon is offline

Default one inch holes in a 4x4 wood post?

You probably want to fix the net along the top too. If you don't it may look OK at first, but after
much use will sag appreciably.

"J." wrote in message ...
If I were to follow your method I personally would attach the net at six points (3 on each vertical
side) on the premise that if one point chafes through the kid(s) won't fall through the net so
readily.

The sailor is correct though, from a long term perspective. His method will last almost
indefinitely. Yours, through-drilled and figure-eight knotted, will last for a few to perhaps
several years depending on the amount of time the kids have at it, but will eventually wear through
and break in at least one place. When that occurs, you replace the whole net.

Bottom line is that it's your choice as to where you want to make the tradeoff between cost and
absolute safety.

J.

wrote:
I have a platform tree house supported by 4 4x4 pressure treated
posts. I want to build a rope cargo net between 2 of the posts. To
do so, I either need to drill about 4 holes in two of the posts, or
use eye bolts. Because of the size of the rope, I would need to drill
one inch holes in the 4x4's. Will they retain their strength if there
are 4 one inch holes drilled through them about one foot apart? Or
should I bite the bullet and buy the eye bolts?

Thanks