Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
catguy catguy is offline

Default balancing a ceiling fan

"SteveB" wrote in message
I don't know why, but there have been a rash of ceiling fans introduced
into my universe, and every one is way out of balance.

What is the way to balance them?

Is there a variable strobe that one can get, mark the blades, and find out
which one is the one that makes the biggest circle?

I've sat here till I'm dizzy pondering the bests approach to this.

Steve

I helped a friend install a decent quality Hunter fan a couple of weeks ago.
Before attaching the blades,
I spun the motor and was dismayed to see at least 0.060" runout in the blade
mounting ring. Split the
motor shell, loosened the ring and was able to get it down to very little
runout. With no further adjustments,
the fan wobbles only 1/16" on a 4 foot long pole. I can't imagine what it
would have done if I hadn't
checked the ring first......Paul