Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Andrew VK3BFA Andrew VK3BFA is offline

Default balancing a ceiling fan

On Jul 12, 9:58 am, "SteveB" wrote:
I don't know why, but there have been a rash of ceiling fans introduced into
my universe, and every one is way out of balance.

What is the way to balance them?

Is there a variable strobe that one can get, mark the blades, and find out
which one is the one that makes the biggest circle?

I've sat here till I'm dizzy pondering the bests approach to this.

Steve

two things - there usually marked for best balance, sorta like the
alignment on a 3 jaw chuck. Its in the instructions, which most of us
dont read. (and have thrown out with the rest of the packaging...)

Second thing - take it off the ceiling, set it up vertically in a vise
- then balance like you would a lathe chuck with an eccentric object
in it.....

It wont be helped by plain bearings with lotsa slop - don't expect
tooo much. (and, whatya expect for $30 anyway...)

But I agree, it can drive you NUTS - you will be seeing a machine not
working correctly, everyone else will be seeing a ceiling fan.....

Andrew VK3BFA.