Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Is it entirely me, or does the cheap chainsaw share the blame?

Bill wrote:

Learn how to properly sharpen your chain including the depth gauges
(rakers). Or buy a new chain. Or have your chain sharpened by a saw shop.

If you're an occasional user don't bother trying to learn hot to
properly sharpen a chain, just pay a good local shop the $10 and be done
with it. Before you have the chain sharpened, go to said local power
equipment shop and have them make up a new chain for you of quality non
anti-kickbak chain like a good Oregon type. Almost certainly the chain
you get on a cheap saw is an anti-kickback type the doesn't cut worth a
damn and a pro wouldn't touch with a 10' pole (saw).

Even my Shindaiwa 488 came standard with a crap anti-kickback chain
which my shop recommended throwing in the garbage and replacing with
real chain. I put it aside as a last ditch backup chain and when I had
some time tried both the anti-kickback chain and the good "real" chain
they gave me on the same 12" logs and the difference was dramatic.

Pete C.