Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default balancing a ceiling fan

"SteveB" wrote: (clip)What is the way to balance them? (clip)
This is a method I used to balance a plain fan, and it ought to work on a
ceiling fan as well. With the fan not running, I held a vibrating engraving
tool against it. The vibration overcame the "sticktion" in the fan
bearings, so the heavy side slowly drifted to the bottom. I removed a
little weight from that side and repeated until it stopped finding a heavy
side.

With a ceiling fan you would have to hold it sideways, but I don't see any
problem with that.