Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default What is a fair electrician hourly rate

"George" wrote in message
news
SteveB wrote:
"George" wrote

The guy would probably better off working at wallmart with that rate. By
the time he covers his expenses he is basically working for free.

Do you speak for the free world?

I think I have a pretty good grasp of economics.

But one that only allows for your point of view.

There are a lot of electricians who will do side jobs for less, who are
retired, who live in rural America,

Perhaps, but the question wasn't about hiring someone who works on the
side. And the $30/hour rate was touted as being in one of the most
expensive places to live.

And then the conversation evolved to the point I commented on.

One of the main reasons that so many startups and businesses go under is
they don't understand overhead. A $30/hour rate doesn't even cover the
cost of having someone on the road.

The main reason is being undercapitalized.

or who just don't look at money as the
end all be all.

I find that people like to be paid for the goods and services they provide
and it requires money to do that. To that end you usually need to work and
make sufficient money to pay for food and living expenses.

Do you get paid for what you do? Have you considered asking to have it
reduced?

I make from $5 to $200 per hour for what I do when I do choose to work.
Each case is individual, and the amount depends on many variables.

I'm retired.

Steve