Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Strengthening a floor

On Jul 11, 2:00 am, "Art" wrote:
We are pulling out a Jacuzzi brand whirlpool and replacing it with a
Sanijet. According to Jacuzzi, they require floor strength of about 55 lbs
per sq feet. Surprisingly, Sanijet wants 100 lbs per sq feet. I am looking
for ideas on strengthening the floor. I have access from underneath. I
plan on adding an additional piece of sheet rock on top and screwing it to
the joists. Sistering the joists would probably be difficult because a
portion of the floor is cantilevered but I could put in a bunch of blocking
between joists underneath the whirlpool if that would help. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Blocking will help some but I think you still have essentially the
whole load on at most half a dozen joists. Vertical support from
below would be better. How free are you to interfere with the space
below? You could put a 4X4 prop under each joist that runs under the
whirlpool, or run a support beam across, perpendicular to (and
beneath) the joists, with a couple of 4X4s or those adjustable steel
jackposts. -- H