Posted to alt.electronics
Ronbo Ronbo is offline

Default soldering copper wire to aluminum wire

Dave wrote:
What are the risks of soldering copper wire to aluminum wire? I just
had to repair a wire on my Chevy truck. The original wire was aluminum
and I spliced a copper wire between two ends of the damaged wire. It
seemed to take the solder well but I have reservations about the
longevity of the fix. What are the implications of having done this?
Am I looking a a problem down the road (pun intended)

Dave

Are u sure it's alum? GM used steel wiring for their rearward lamp
harness for years. Repair method was splice and crimp & pack with
dielectric grease.