Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default gas oven won;t heat

Doug wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:35:40 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 00:18:23 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
roups.com...

badge wrote:

My tappan gas oven won't heat. When I turn it on the burners fail to

light

therefore not heating up. The top burners work fine even my broiler

will

not ignite. I can smell gas but do not see a flame. Can you please

help

me.

Your pilot flame has gone out. There is an adjustment on the oven
control , but if you don't know how to set it, call a repairman. HTH

Not if it's fairly new. :-)

Maybe, maybe not. Not enough info was given.
Also, I'm not sure that Tappan is still an active brand. If not, it is
indeed a few years old.

Ranges with oven pilot lights are still being made and sold.

And are NOT the normal everyday item that people are purchasing.
Even if it's manufactured in the last 10-15 years, it's highly likely that
it doesn't have a pilot light. Since that's pretty much the life expectancy,
you can pretty much guess that it doesn't have a pilot!

Well, I wouldn't know what is a "normal" purchase.
I do know that every major manufacturer offers a range with standing
pilots.

Doug

FWIW, we've got a low-end Montgomery Ward (made by Tappan -- that gives
a clue about how old it is) and even IT has an electric igniter for the
oven. I think it's more common to have pilots for top burners than for
ovens.