Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default What is a fair electrician hourly rate

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"jsanders" wrote in message
news:01d8d0e49f604a2351a8289d5503095f@homerepairli ve.com...

I had my basement done and I received a bill from the electrician in the
amount of $3150.00. $2400 being labor. My wife said that he was at the job
only about 10 to 14 hours. Do you think that is a good rate. He won't show
on his invoice how many hours he worked?

He said he did not want people to know what he is charging?

To that 14 hours, add some travel time and shop time, so it may be another
few hours, Even at 20hours, he is high. I'd expect to pay $75 to $100
depending on location.

googling a little finds

Electrical Labor Rate - Seattle $90 per hour ($150 for the first hour)
for one contracting firm (as it says, in Seattle). I would expect that
to be a fairly typical rate/schedule for most cities, probably higher in
Boston, San Fran, NYC, etc.

A 2005 Survey of rates by a trade association of facilities for
exhibitions for comparison

Anaheim Atlanta Atlantic City Boston Chicago
$78.83 $51.25 $85.58 $48.09 $98.30

Boston seem terribly low in comparison and compared to expectations.
There weren't any other "left coast" places in this tabulation. All
else found was wages for employees, not nearly as directly correlateable
to consumer charges.

The average of the three "high-price spreads" above is $90/hr in round
numbers, right in line w/ the Seattle contractor number.

W/ OP's original statement of 12hr (midpoint of estimate, that would be
about $1150 in round numbers for the labor w/o any of the other
adjustments that might have been reasonable.

No way to know how accurate the time estimate is, but if it's at all
reasonable, certainly would seem to be on the high end...