Posted to alt.home.repair
G. Carlyle G. Carlyle is offline

Default What is a fair electrician hourly rate

"Smitty Two" wrote
All right, I get the consensus here that my electrician is an idiot.
Sorry to disappoint you all, but he's the best electrician I've ever
found. Brilliant, competent, thorough, knowledgeable, a genuine
professional.

Turns away work by the boatload. Can't find him in the phone book. Works
from an old truck. Drinks lots of coffee, smokes a few cigarettes,
always happy, always friendly. Never in a hurry, but very efficient.
Makes electrical work look like a ballet. Loves his trade. Been doing my
work and that of my company for thirty years.

Since you feel you're qualified to judge your electrician's work,
competence, and professionalism. Why are you hiring him?

"Your" company should get you to supervise the janitor to do electrical
work.

Bottom line is, your electrician is a total idiot. I don't live in one of
the most expensive areas in the country, but I do make $28.63 an hour, plus
bennies, which costs the company an additional 40% of what I make. I
wouldn't think of doing "side" jobs for $30 an hour, when I can get all the
OT I want @ time and a half. That's working under my employer's license.

Someday if your handyman gets an electrical license, he won't have to drive
that old truck.