Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default What is a fair electrician hourly rate

On Jul 11, 12:37 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

All right, I get the consensus here that my electrician is an idiot.
Sorry to disappoint you all, but he's the best electrician I've ever
found. Brilliant, competent, thorough, knowledgeable, a genuine
professional.

Turns away work by the boatload. Can't find him in the phone book. Works
from an old truck. Drinks lots of coffee, smokes a few cigarettes,
always happy, always friendly. Never in a hurry, but very efficient.
Makes electrical work look like a ballet. Loves his trade. Been doing my
work and that of my company for thirty years.

It's great that you have such a person on hand, but...so what?

I suppose that in a discussion on housing prices, you'd mention that
you lived in one of the most expensive parts of the country and your
house cost you absolutely nothing. Then, in a later post, you'd
mention you got it as an inheritance. Not exactly relevant, now is
it?

It also sounds to me like your electrician is very probably not
licensed - may not be necessary in your area, but in most parts of the
country it is a requirement. If he says he is licensed, is it his
license? You can't "loan" licenses. It also sounds like his
moonlighting is strictly off of the books and I'd imagine that you pay
him in cash. All of that is your business, but I'd suggest that
people not hire contractors that way as the owner stands to lose far
more than the modest cost savings.

Your situation with your electrician has nothing at all to do with
anyone's reality except your own. It adds nothing to the topic at
hand and in fact detracts from it. Perhaps you'd like to add to the
discussion and help put things in perspective - what is the going rate
for an electrician in your neck of the woods?