Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default What is a fair electrician hourly rate

In article ,
ValveJob wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:01:30 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article bbQki.4523$CJ4.3141@trndny08,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"jsanders" wrote in message
news:01d8d0e49f604a2351a8289d5503095f@homerepairli ve.com...

I had my basement done and I received a bill from the electrician in the
amount of $3150.00. $2400 being labor. My wife said that he was at the
job
only about 10 to 14 hours. Do you think that is a good rate. He won't
show
on his invoice how many hours he worked?

He said he did not want people to know what he is charging?

To that 14 hours, add some travel time and shop time, so it may be another
few hours, Even at 20hours, he is high. I'd expect to pay $75 to $100
depending on location.

75 to 100 might be expected for a minimum one hour or less service call,
but my electrician charges 30/hr, and I live in one of the most
expensive places in the country.

You need to check his work. I suspect he is retarded at best.

All right, I get the consensus here that my electrician is an idiot.
Sorry to disappoint you all, but he's the best electrician I've ever
found. Brilliant, competent, thorough, knowledgeable, a genuine
professional.

Turns away work by the boatload. Can't find him in the phone book. Works
from an old truck. Drinks lots of coffee, smokes a few cigarettes,
always happy, always friendly. Never in a hurry, but very efficient.
Makes electrical work look like a ballet. Loves his trade. Been doing my
work and that of my company for thirty years.