Posted to rec.woodworking
** Frank ** **    Frank    ** is offline

Default one inch holes in a 4x4 wood post?

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a platform tree house supported by 4 4x4 pressure treated
posts. I want to build a rope cargo net between 2 of the posts. To
do so, I either need to drill about 4 holes in two of the posts, or
use eye bolts. Because of the size of the rope, I would need to drill
one inch holes in the 4x4's. Will they retain their strength if there
are 4 one inch holes drilled through them about one foot apart? Or
should I bite the bullet and buy the eye bolts?

Thanks

Most of the tension and compression occur on the outside of the post so
drilling through the center post would be the best bet. You would loose some
strength but not all that much - don't remember how to calculate it, its
been a long time. On the other hand if you notch or drill 1" anywhere near
the outside of the post, you've effectively turn a 3.5" post into a 2.5"
post. See this all the time where electricians and plumbers notch and
butcher a 12" beam into a 6" beam in building construction.