Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default All for the want of a bush

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

My thanks also to anyone else who has responded since I last logged on.
I think we have a solution with the Triumph bush.

Friggin ace mate.

However I would grab a reamer or use a dremel and drum sander to open up
the inside

Don't have any of those or easy access to same.

Or even sandpaper wrapped around a rod.

I do have several round files but I am much more confident of my ability
to file a round steel shaft a fraction smaller than I am of making a
decent job of filing a hole in a nylon bush larger. Still took longer
than I expected though. Think I need some new files that are less than
40 years old. :-)

A very tight fit won't take long to wear to an exact fit, if my
experience of Triumph suspension is anything to go by ;-)

I hope the repair will last the remaining life of the mower. The
steering certainly now reminds me more of the machine when it was new
unlike just previously which was at least as bad as the steering on my
very first car - 4 1/2" inches of play at the rim.

However I am not sure how long the mower will last as in the course of
this repair I discovered that the top of the cutter housing had rusted
through in several places. It still cuts though so I am not sure whether
I had the will to clean the housing off and pop rivet a few tin can
patches on before I put it up for sale.

--
Roger Chapman