Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Strengthening a floor...however

dadiOH wrote:
Art wrote:
We are pulling out a Jacuzzi brand whirlpool and replacing it with
a Sanijet. According to Jacuzzi, they require floor strength of
about 55 lbs per sq feet. Surprisingly, Sanijet wants 100 lbs per
sq feet. I am looking for ideas on strengthening the floor. I
have access from underneath. I plan on adding an additional piece
of sheet rock on top and screwing it to the joists. Sistering the
joists would probably be difficult because a portion of the floor
is cantilevered but I could put in a bunch of blocking between
joists underneath the whirlpool if that would help. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

A cubic foot of water weighs about 62 pounds. A container 5'x5'
with 3' of water would weigh about 4,650 pounds. The load per
sq.ft. would be 186 pounds. If you weighed 186 pounds you put
about the same load on the floor. IOW, I kinda suspect your
current floor is more than adequate

However, if you are really worried, some 4x4 posts under the joists
where the tub is going would ease your mind.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...