Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Siver Birch

Hi Tom

Are you in Europe ??

The silver birch is the normal NW European Birch, very similar to the
Paper Birch her in N.America, and if you have fresh cut Birch, you
have good turning wood, it's just plain light colored wood, as I
remember from cutting it for firewood as a boy in Holland, the wood
does not get soft from drying, but you do have to keep it out of the
wet, as it will rot in short order if left on the wet ground.

As I never worked with large size Silver Birch, I don't know it it has
more color than the thinner stuff, I do know that one of the best if
not the best tool making company that made shovels, pitch and
hayforks, in that time, used birch for handles, and they did stand up
well, light and strong, the co. name was Wedevag, don't know if they
are still around or not.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jul 4, 6:11 am, "Tom Dougall" wrote:
Another question about suitable wood for turning.

I can get a hold of a quantity of Silver Birch newly cut. I have been told
that it gets softer as it dries and is unsuitable for turning. Any comments
please.

Tom.