Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default 12 amp wire size

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Henry wrote:

I was wondering what cable size to use for wiring a 125V 12 amp fan that

is

100 feet away from the breaker panel.

Thanks.

You should be able to use 14 gauge wire.

It'll drop about 4 volts at 12 amps over that length, but that shouldn't
worry a fan much.

Ever read the NEC for voltage drop allowances?

Not recently, but if I advised something which wouldn't meet code then I
apologize and stand corrected.

I just figured that a 4 volt drop would still furnish a fan motor with
sufficient power to do its thing.

What type of fan? A box fan only has a 16ga wire on it. If it is rated for
12a. then that is probably the max draw on startup. 14 ga would do well,
assuming romax, not extension cord. Still, why bother with 14 ga. Go with
the standard 12 ga and put in a 20a breaker.