Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

Default A/C working properly? Cost - lower temp?

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 10, 8:51 am, "Noon-Air" wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

wrote in message
roups.com...

Never saw a volt meter that was capable of measuring line pressures

for
calculating superheat and subcooling. VBG

Looked very odd to me, and I don't know anything about fixing A/Cs.

The tech needs to hook up gauges to the outdoor unit. He also needs to
take
temperature reading on both of the outdoor lines. They need to

diagnose
what
is actually going on with this unit. Without the proper data,

everything
is
a guess. Which is why NOBODY here can tell you what's wrong with your
unit.

When you get the following information, one can help you.

Suction Pressure
Head Pressure
Suction Line Temp
Liquid Line Temp
Ambient Temp
Condenser Temp
Indoor Return Temp
Indoor Supply Temp
Indoor WetBulb Temp
Compressor Amps
Rated Compressor Amps 11.5

And make sure the electric elements are not ON!

Ummm...... nobody has asked if there has been a new thermostat installed
recently.... like in the last 2 months.

I was just reading about thermostats... It's the same one that been
there for a least 1.5 years. It's a Totaline P474-0100. I changed the
cycles per hour to 4 yesterday (it was 6; can be 2-6, "no limit," or
"disable 5 minute compressor lockout"). I read that if the cycles were
set to low the unit would simply not run enough to be able to cool the
house. (And may not control the humidity as well.) The thinking was,
in the mean time I'll live with it hot for part of the day, and then
when it's cooler and 4 cycles will take it down to 78 then it will
shut off because that's the temp setting. BUT, it appears the Goodman
could care less what the thermostat says about cycles per hour. It ran
for 2 straight hours. The fan is on Auto. I also noticed the
instructions say not to install it near a register or the return. It's
about 7'2" from the return, (at the same height, facing it from
another (parallel) wall, not directly across - about 6'6" feet over;
the walls are 3 feet apart; the wall with the thermostat ends (turns
away 90 deg) after 1'6" towards the return.
-------------

| Living Room

I started taking temp readings, as suggested. In the Living Room the
temperature out of the register is consistently 15 degrees less than
what the thermostat says (and I set the thermometer on top the
thermostat to make sure they read the same...). In one bedroom (with
the door shut) the temperature will be 71 degrees if the register is
not shut (it's not), while the temp in the living room is 78 (the
other side of the door).

The repair guy, who I thought didn't do anything in those 2 minutes,
might have actually done something, as at least the apt is cooler than
83 now. But the A/C is running practically non-stop.

I also noticed than when I shut the vent in the (71 deg, above)
bedroom it's not making the noise it used to - some air used to get
through anyway. Not anymore - the air is not blowing nearly as hard as
it used to. Which registers are open and which doors are shut is the
same.

Are you sure he didn't mess with the blower speed?