Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default Tunneling - Part Two

"Bill Stock" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Bill Stock" writes:

OK, so I've started my tunneling project (3" * 12', 5' below grade)
mentioned a few weeks back. The pipe is not comng for a week or so, but I
thought I would start to see what I was getting in to.

I cored drilled the block (2 x 4" holes) last week in 'anticipation' of
the
chunnel. I assembled a few tools based on your comments last time, garden
auger, pressure washer, telescoping wand. I decided to start the hole
using
my 5' installer's bit to try and get a straight line and see if there
were
any obstacles 'out there'? The bit stopped at about 2'+. Damn. Next I got
out the garden auger (3"x3') to see it it was a small object I could
grind
out. Nope. So I put the pressure washer to use to see what was impeding
my
process? I was hoping it was a soft brick, but it appears to be part of a
concrete block at an angle to the hole.

Start making the hole wider.

Make sure you're not breaking into some utility line.

Yeah, except my exit hole is only 4". So even if I can free 'the object' it
may not come out of the hole. I don't want to make too big a cavern in any
event, as I don't want to sink the paving stones above.

Mainly I think you want to figure out what it is.

I can tell you that it's some kind of concrete and it's HARD. Likely an old
piece of wall or foundation. If it were block or brick I would have smashed
it by now. I bought a long 60" hard, heavy, pointy thing to hit it with, but
it won't budge. I think the pointy thing is a digging/rock bar. I think if I
could really swing at it, might make some progress.

Rock bar would have been my next suggestion.
I wasn't sure you had room to use it.
They're much easier to use vertically of course.

My next step is to drill it and then hit it with the pointy thing again.

An electric hammer (like a jack hammer) is another possibility.
Rental places have them.