Posted to alt.home.repair
pj pj is offline

Default Paint Color Matching Machines

My 2 cents -- I recently took a book into Home Depot, wanting a paint color
that was one of the colors on the book cover. The paint "person" held up
the book cover to the computer "camera(?)", and the paint I left the store
with was and absolutely perfect match.
-- pj

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Was just wondering about the machines, I guess they are called
Photometers, that most paint stores now seem to have to match colors. The
one where you put in a sample piece having the old color on it, and it
cranks out the formula for the new paint mix.

How good are they in practice ? (will be trying to match an exterior
house color)

Is it necessary to calibrate them often ?

Do they all use the same brand of machine, or are some acknowledged to be
"better" than others in matching ? Any experiences in what the Benjamin
Moore stores use ?

How do they match the "sheen" ? e.g., exterior paints (and I imagine
interior also) come in everything from flat to real glossy. Do they match
this also ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob