Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default outlet on external wall

car crash wrote:
I noticed in a new home I recently bought in Ontario that I have a
bathroom outlet that was installed in the wall that is also the wall
to the outside. Now in the last house I had, I asked the builder to
do this but he said that it was against code to do that. So why is it
this builder can now install a wall outlet on the wall that is the
outside wall as well ? Is there a violation of the code by installing
a wall outlet on a outside wall ?
Thanks.

Just a guess: When you put an outlet on an outside wall you are
penetrating the vapor barrier on the inside-house side of the insulation
and reducing the insulation at that point. Both are undesirable.
Breaking the vapor barrier can allow humid inside air into the
insulation where it can freeze and produce both thermal and water
problems. A bathroom could be a particularly bad source of humid air,
although the air only has to have a dew point higher than the outside
temperature. The penetration can be sealed with a plastic box that goes
behind the electrical box and seals to the vapor barrier and wires.

You could ask a builder and repost - inquiring minds want to know.

--
bud--