Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Hot upstairs cool downstairs

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:19:27 -0700, batman
wrote:

My upstairs is really hot during the summer and my downstairs stays
cool. My dad told me to start adding more insulation to the upstairs
attic. I am doing this but will that help the upstairs to cool down?
Half of my upstairs is finished and there is 1 vent in each bedroom
(total of 2) I do not see anyreturn duct work. If I install that will
that help?

One house I had the attic access panel on the second floor was in the
hall. Not far from the thermostat. Just 5/8 sheetrock panel that was
caulked around the edges/trim . When the attic unit needed service the
first time and the caulk "seal" was broken we could just feel the heat
entering in the house. I can only imagine the energy loss through the
space. Seal them up tight.

The house across the street was one bed room smaller than my house.
His tstat was on the first floor and mine was on the second. I never
understood that.

Check for leaking windows upstairs.

--
Oren