Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Philips calls for a simple switch to reduce energy consumption

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 23:21:06 -0500, dpb wrote:

mm wrote:
Philosophically, I have to agree with the sentiment that about 90% of
the most vocal proponents of many of these movements are about as
hypocritical as it gets in the "do what I say, not what I do" venue.

That's not the definition of hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is saying I do that
or I beleive that when the person really doesn't.**

Well, I think they _are_ saying something they don't really believe or
they would "walk the walk" instead of just spouting the talk...

I don't think that. If our goals are not greater than our reach, our
goals are not high enough.

If you were/are right, you'd be right that they are hypocrites, but do
you really think that they don't think that its better for the planet
and for the future of people if people would avoid energy consumption?

Al Gore, at least, has spent lots of time on this going back more than
20 years that I know of, I think, when it was doing little good if any
for his political career. I was wandering along the DC mall some
summer day around 3PM in the 80's or possibly early 90's and there on
the grass in the wide area in the middle was a competition for solar
powered cars, and there was Al Gore giving out prizes, I think he was.
There was no sign, no podium, no microphone, no cameras, and there
were only about 7 cars and fewer than 25 people there, iirc. I saw
the experimental cars and I had to ask someone what was going on.