Posted to alt.home.repair
John Candy John Candy is offline

Default Sound Proofing a door. Ideas !!!

I have a bunch of clothes I don't need anymore and they are not good
enough to give away, so I will use those to push into the door and see
what that does.

Ill just conpact them into the door as much as I can, without m akeing
the door look like its about to have kids

It should help, though not sure if they will blockout low pitch or
high pitch noise more ???

Thanks.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 21:31:55 -0000, Malto wrote:

generally speaking, adding mass to the door (or wall) will improve its
noise attenuation. A rule of thumb is if you double the mass of the
door, you reduce the noise passing thru by -6db. -6db is a
substantial improvement in the way humans perceive sound.

Keep in mind, that any composite wall will have what is termed a
"coincidence dip" which will occur at a frequency near that of the
walls natural resonant frequency. what this means is that for that
particular sound frequency range you will hear certain sounds louder
than other sounds falling in other frequency ranges. A good example
of this is listening to a car driving by behind a glass window. The
resonant frequency of an insulated glass window is relatively high so
you hear the higher frequency sounds pass through yet the lower
frequency sounds are more attenuated (compared to listening to a car
without a window in front of you).

anyway, using weatherstripping, etc to fill in the gaps around the
door will only do so much. What you really want ideally is a heavy
(massive) door. In your case, that may not be acheivable short of
replacing the door or modifying it to the point where you won't get
your security deposit back or where it would lose its aesthetic appeal

Good luck,
Malto

On Jul 3, 10:35 am, John Candy wrote:
Sound Proofing a door. Ideas !!!

I live in a unit, flat, apartment, whatever you call it. Any ways it
gets a little noiseing in the hallway from time to tme and would like
to sound proof my main door.

Its just a hollow one, problaby why it snot doing frack to stop any
noise. Probalby easist way is to buy a sold door, but I like a project

I was thinking of putting something into the door to sound proof it,
but not sure what.

Any ideas ???