Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Philips calls for a simple switch to reduce energy consumption

Smitty Two wrote:

Yes they're still wasting energy, but that doesn't mean carbon credits
don't help solve the pollution problem. It isn't electricity *usage*
that pollutes. It's electricity *generation.* Using less, as in CFLs,
etc., means less gets generated, which reduces pollution. But,
generating electricity in more environmentally friendly ways *also*
reduces pollution. So one person may want to use less energy, another
may want to help fund the transition to cleaner energy sources. In that
light, I think carbon credits are more than just "feel good" stuff.

I respectfully disagree. If Gore and friends wanted to "help the
environment" they need to live exactly like they want everyone else to
live. That means use mass transit or efficient vehicles, dump the mega
McMansions etc. If they want to donate to help stop pollution/save
energy then it is a bonus because they will have already saved a lot by
abandoning their piggy lifestyles.