Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Ben Jackson Ben Jackson is offline

Default Solder Station Recommendations?

On 2007-07-10, Joe wrote:
http://www.howardelectronics.com/xytronic/379.html

Have you had any dealings with Howard Electronics, or know of them by
reputation?

Also, I don't know anything about xytronic. Is it a decent brand?

I'm not the guy who posted that, but I have a 379 (not purchased from
Howard) and I have also purchased things from Howard Electronics (such
as more tips).

The 379 is great. It is generally only limited by the tip. The big
B10 chisel tip can easily solder parts onto big thermal pads. I
also like the finer chisel tips for general work. The super sharp
tips like like B23 and B03 do work when you need really fine work, but
their low thermal mass will slow you down. If you really want to do
super fine work all day, buy a Metcal.

I got one of their "mini wave" tips (hollow tip that you load with solder
to do smt work) but I haven't tried it yet. In a week or so I'll be
mounting some QFPs that should test it.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/