Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Hot upstairs cool downstairs

On Jul 9, 12:19 am, batman wrote:
My upstairs is really hot during the summer and my downstairs stays
cool. My dad told me to start adding more insulation to the upstairs
attic. I am doing this but will that help the upstairs to cool down?
Half of my upstairs is finished and there is 1 vent in each bedroom
(total of 2) I do not see anyreturn duct work. If I install that will
that help?

Your dad's part right.

Can't have too much attic insulation, but you also need to block
airflow from inside the shell into the attic or elsewhere.

Meaning: the insulation can't have any gaps, or it's relatively
useless. By this, I mean air-passage.

Also: walls should be insulated as possible with no gaps- some
builders have probs with insulation where walls meet ceiling.

Then- windows should be low-e and seal well. Doors too.

You now have a chance to keep it cool without lots of
coal burnt at your friendly local power station.

(You could sleep downstairs for Jul/Aug., or use window-
rattler to cool one room up there. FWIW.)

HTH,