Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Hot upstairs cool downstairs

batman wrote:
My upstairs is really hot during the summer and my downstairs stays
cool. My dad told me to start adding more insulation to the upstairs
attic. I am doing this but will that help the upstairs to cool down?
Half of my upstairs is finished and there is 1 vent in each bedroom
(total of 2) I do not see anyreturn duct work. If I install that will
that help?

You didn't say if your home uses just a single AC system and one
thermostat. Our house has two separate systems and two thermostats, one
on the main floor and one on the second floor, making it easier to cllo
just the floor(s) we're on at the time.

If it's a single system, follow the others' advice, close off some
outlets on the main floor and see if more cool air comes out on the
second floor.

Also, what's the venting like in your attic? A ridge vent and air inlets
under the eaves helps a lot towards keeping the attic cool, as will a
thermostatically controlled attic exhaust fan.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)