Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default soda splashed on car radio

Hi!

I repeated this cleaning procedure twice. Each time the same end results.
Anyone wants to theorize what may be happening?

I don't think you got all the soda out. It can be quite difficult to fully
remove spills from electronic equipment without pulling it apart and
cleaning each piece by hand.

The chemicals (and sugar!) that are in soda can also eat circuit traces and
cause corrosion. I think corrosion is a possibility that must be considered,
although it isn't all that likely...damaged circuit traces are really
unlikely.

The denatured alcohol shouldn't damage anything, but it may drive
lubricating grease out of moving parts. If you are worried, try the alcohol
on a part of the radio's faceplate that can't be easily seen should
something go wrong.

William