Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Multitrack cassette recorder repair problem

wrote:
snip
Thanks Arfa. I shall try those things now.

Unfortunately there are no fuses in this unit. However, upon a visual
inspection I identified a transistor with visible damage to its
ceramic exterior. This transistor, a C1815, is in place but almost
half of its ceramic exterior has been chipped off. Quite a bit of
copper is showing, but there is no broken connection.

Does anyone know whether it's likely that this sort of damage would
stop a transistor from working? I have taken a digital image:

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs217&d=07281&f=transistor.jpg

(the chipped transistor is circled in red).
Thanks

Was that a shill just to get to the 'two free ipod nanos'? In any case,
I didn't wait for the pic to load. I hate popups, but I hate audio
popups even more.

However, when I see a component damaged as you describe, I consider it
toast and start looking for the cause. It's not the external damage
that's the issue. That transistor has literally exploded through some
fault; either an internal fault in the component itself--or more
likely--a fault in the circuit, which overloaded it.

jak