Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Concrete fence posts

How do you get the post rigid enough to withstand a high wind?

--
Dave

I use a post hole borer to get a deep hole with vertical sides and use
sharp gravel to fill the gap around the post.
I've built my gazeebo that way and it'll probably out last me.
Aim to get a good deep hole about 2 to 3 ft deep. It should be fairly
close to the size of the post and vertical. That's the difficult bit.
If you get the angle wrong, shave a bit off the side with a post hole
digger. The aim is to rely on the already compacted earth to hold the
post in place.
There's a lot of information on this site
http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur02.htm
although we differ on how best to plant the posts.
I found the site makes fascinating reading in all respects. Just like
a good book I suppose.

John