Posted to sci.electronics.repair
BH BH is offline

Default soda splashed on car radio

On Jul 9, 12:20 pm, (GregS) wrote:
In article dRski.1013$z64.280@trnddc07, "peter" wrote:
An ex spilled some cola in my car and some got inside the cd/radio. Since
then, the push buttons on the radio only work 10% of the time. 90% of the
time the buttons do not respond. It's a radio/CD player I cannot change
stations at will, and am afraid to put CD in it (the eject buttons also only
work 10% of the time).

I removed the radio, separated the faceplate -- that's where I believe the
soda was splashed. Sure enough I see droplets of dried soda. I dip the
faceplate/buttons in water in an ultrasonic cleaner, taking care not to dip
the LCD portion.

Then I let the faceplate air dry for a few days. Then put it all back into
the car. Then, the buttons work perfectly again.

BUT, after a few days, the buttons return to the 90% not responding
symdrome.

I repeated this cleaning procedure twice. Each time the same end results.
Anyone wants to theorize what may be happening?

Now I have another idea: instead of water, dip the faceplate in denature
alcohol -- that is what some people do to treat cellphones dropped in water.

My only concern is, since alcohol is a solvent, could it dissolve some
components in the faceplate? Any suggestions on what electronic components
may be damaged by alchohol? If I only soak it for a short time (e.g. 30
sec), there should not be enough time to dissolve anything, right? I'm
willing to take some risk because a 10% radio/CD is very frustrating.

Cleaning with water is the best thing for soda. Not sure if the LCD screen can handle
water. I most always lubricate contacts after this, often completely spraying
with WD-40 to help remove the water. You can try applying a lubricant like
CRC 2-26 after cleaning the buttons.

greg- Hide quoted text -

Clean with water. Next only allow diet pop in the car. Sugar makes
good glue.

Bruce