Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default LEDs as lamp replacements

Lostgallifreyan wrote:

Eeyore wrote

Definitely smaller size, so if you're going to be a stickler for full
context such as analysis of lumens per watt of actual mains input,
you must take all of the context. People have alreay said (rightly)
that LED lamps won't have the trouble that CFL's have in fitting most
current luminaries.

Well actually I wonder about that. Especially replacements for those
'low voltage halogen' types like these.
http://www.lightingfx.com/item--Halogen-GU10--51

There's not actually any easy way to lose the heat. The 'enclosure' is
very small.

No fair! You try fitting a CFL in there. That's why you're pulling
teeth out of the biting argument in favour of LED's isn't it? Most of the
time in this thread you're advocating CFL's, so this is a spurious issue.

To be honest, I'm not actually advocating any specific technology. I am however
very interested on Philips new compact 'CHLi' halogens.
http://www.lighting.philips.com/gl_e...n_news&lang=en

I have seen LED 'replacements' for that GU10 type touted, but it's clear they
must have very much lower light output.

Graham