Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Terry Pinnell Terry Pinnell is offline

Default Circuit breaker trip puzzle

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:
Thanks for the follow-ups. I'm going to have to do some more careful
reading, maybe starting here
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=RCD
as I don't really understand the basics, and hence some of the advice
given. Meanwhile, beginning to regret switching from my old fuse-based
unit a year or so ago!

Was the work done by a qualified electrician?

Yep, albeit fairly young.

It just seems strange to me that the immersion is on the RCD side.

Is that abnormal? Why? Should I get him to switch it over to the other
side?

And since you said it replaced a
fuse based unit was the house re-wired at the same time?

No. And my 'extra' wiring (mostly done about 12 years ago) got the
predictable negative reaction ;-)

The Crabtree is a modern modular unit, but so far I've not found its
spec. I'll do so as soon as possible and report back.

If it's a current Starbreaker unit I've fitted several including my own
and they've been fine.

Yes, it is a Starbreaker, as you can see from the photo I posted
earlier.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK