Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default LEDs as lamp replacements

Lostgallifreyan wrote:

Eeyore wrote

In any case don't 'white leds' use the same phosphor method of
producing light that CFLs do ?

Higher intensity. Might be nonlinear, as in greater efficiency if you pump
them harder. Might be different materials. I don't know for sure though.

Definitely smaller size, so if you're going to be a stickler for full
context such as analysis of lumens per watt of actual mains input, you must
take all of the context. People have alreay said (rightly) that LED lamps
won't have the trouble that CFL's have in fitting most current luminaries.

Well actually I wonder about that. Especially replacements for those 'low
voltage halogen' types like these.
http://www.lightingfx.com/item--Halogen-GU10--51

There's not actually any easy way to lose the heat. The 'enclosure' is very
small.

That's obviously important regarding watse and expense.

Mo LED's are growing more efficient all the time. It might be that in
future these lamps might be directly driven by encapsulated laser diodes
emitting near UV to pump phosphors. Laser diodes have efficiencies beyond
low pressure sodium, they leave it in the dust. It's likely that this
technology will quickly make CFL's look barbarous.

I'm not so sure about the quickly bit.

Graham