Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BillinDetroit BillinDetroit is offline

Default stone crusher for inlay material

william kossack wrote:
I use crushed stone such as Turquoise and Malachite on some of my
turnings. The cost for already crushed stone ranges from $10 and ounce
to $20 an ounce.

I've purchased some nuggets and I was wondering how to best crush it
myself. Anyone have a simple solution?

PS I also have some blue lapis and garnet which are much harder.
Anything I use would have to be tough. The only way I've been able to
crush some of the lapis is with a sledge hammer on a rail road track but
the bag shredded.

There's a place in Detroit (DAGS) that will sell you a 50# bag of red
garnet for just a few bucks. Your choice of grit size. Even with
shipping, the price has GOT to beat $10/20 per ounce. I chased this down
about a year ago but never followed through on it so my info is pretty
sketchy.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000755-0, 07/09/2007
Tested on: 7/9/2007 4:16:15 PM