Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default I'm about to mount a loft aerial for TV...

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 06:29:02 -0700, Jethro
mused:

On 8 Jul, 16:57, MM wrote:
This is a bog-standard 18-element TV aerial from Wilkinsons (£8.99)
and I plan to mount it in the loft space, where even a room aerial
gives excellent reception via the SLx6 Philex aerial booster.

From my bedroom window I can observe the aerial on the chimney of a
neighbouring house. How can I preserve its "angle" as closely as
possible when I mount my aerial? Or isn't the position that critical?

I've been thinking of schooldays when we were given the trigometric
task of working out a tree's height, but I can't think of any
comparable algorithm to transfer the neighbour's aerial's "direction"
to mine. I'll just have to "remember" the position as I climb into my
loft.

I found a cracking site which had the grid references of all UK
transmitters (google for it - I CBA) ... couple of minutes work with a
pen & paper, and I had the angle off the north. Took a compass into
the loft, and away I went.

I ahd to do that, as it seems no one round my way has an external
ariel. Not sure why ....

Because you're not allowed an external aerial?
--
Regards,
Stuart.