Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Hot upstairs cool downstairs

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:19:27 -0700, batman
wrote:

My upstairs is really hot during the summer and my downstairs stays
cool.

Not uncommon.

My dad told me to start adding more insulation to the upstairs
attic. I am doing this but will that help the upstairs to cool down?

It will almost surely cause the hot attic not to heat the upstairs so
much.

If you stand on a chair, is the ceiling hot now? (I've never actually
checked my ceiling, but I wish I had before I put in the roof fan.)

Unless you have loads of insulation there now, more insulation should
help. I forget the recommendation but for fiberglass, the pink stuff
or the other color, I think it is something like 6 or 8 inches, as
amazing at that seems. Depending on where you live, etc. Don't rely
on me to remmeber a number.

Half of my upstairs is finished and there is 1 vent in each bedroom
(total of 2) I do not see anyreturn duct work.

The warm air may go down the stairs and enter the furnace/AC through
the stairwell. Find the intake to the AC and that will help make
things clear (It's on the ohter side of the AC from the output. )

If I install that will
that help?

I think so. WEar a dust mask to not inhale the insulation. If it's
not enough, come back here and talk about cooling the attic with a
roof fan or additional passive venting.

Make sure the upstairs vents are actually open. How mnay vents
downstairs? Maybe close one of them.