Posted to sci.electronics.repair
m kinsler m kinsler is offline

Default Small Drill Presses For Electronics Repair

On Jul 4, 10:15 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am considering getting a small drill press for electronics
repair...what suggestions does the group have?

Thanks

TMT

Perhaps I've led a sheltered life with the groups I normally post to
and am thus feeling unjustifiably offended by the unpleasant exchanges
I've been encountering on this one lately. There is never
justification to be either crude or impolite within a technical
group.

In this particular squabble, it seems that the confusion might stem
from the fact that drill presses do not loom large in the arsenal of
electronics repair equipment. There are many levels of electronics
repair, and most of them don't require a drill press.

There are, as has been stated, procedures which require fancy
operations on printed-circuit boards: you'd have to cut out sections
of foil or do weird stuff related to waveguides integrated into
microwave equipment. For that I suppose you'd want some sort of
precision mill-drill, with the servos and maybe a digital read-out.

In the sort of stuff I've done, the usual application for any sort of
power drill is to drill out a stripped screw. I used to use a hand
drill to make an occasional hole for mounting a heat sink or
something, but that was about it.

If you are building or perhaps modifying electronic equipment, that's
another story. For this, you'd need a minimal bench-top machine with
about an eight-inch swing, the sort of thing that Harbor Freight Tools
sells on sale for about fifty bucks. I have one, and it's perfectly
fine.

So calm down, already.

M Kinsler