Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Dehumidifier

"William R. Walsh" m writes:

Hi!

Good luck. We bought a Sears - cough, cough, looks identical to LG units
- dehumidifier two summer seasons ago.

Wow...that's pretty bad reliability. Even with things getting cheaper and
somewhat less well made, the reliability of a sealed refrigeration system
should not be that bad.

We wanted to upgrade our still functioning 20 year old unit to
something with higher capacity. Bad idea, I guess.

I've got a ~30 year old Sears Coldspot dehumidifier (looks to have been
built by Whirlpool) that's still going strong. It's even been under water a
few times in basement floods. The only repair it has needed to date is a new
fan motor about ten years ago, which Sears could still get. The switch that
shuts it off when full has failed, and so did the neon light that comes on
when it is full, but I can easily remember to empty it every few days.

Similar model here, purchased at garage sale for $5, about 20 years
ago. Only difference is that after repairing the bearings on the fan
motor several times, I simply strapped an external fan to the back
of the unit. A properly designed and manufactured hermetic
refrigerstion system *should* last almost forever. Some do, many don't.