Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default I'm about to mount a loft aerial for TV...

On 9 Jul 2007 06:41:16 GMT, "Bob Eager" mused:

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 00:22:47 UTC, Lurch
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:57:21 GMT, raden mused:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 21:19:30 UTC, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Bob Eager expressed precisely :
Then (read original post) I measured the
bearing corresponding to the run of the (straight) road on which I live.

Ah, I see now.

The method does though rely heavily on the road being straight for long
enough and your house being aligned to that road. Living on a rather
short road with several bends in it and in a house not aligned with the
road, I was struggling to grasp your method.

I guess one could compensate by using a fairly large scale map - I've
always had one of those, wherever I've lived.

After all, high accuracy isn't needed since there's always a final
adjustment. I know I'd have pointed in completely the wrong direction
otherwise!

Basically, I just pointed mine in the direction that all the other
aerials were pointing and then wiggled it about to fine tune it

Which is the correct answer as that will basically be how next doors
aerial was aligned so the exact angle doesn't really matter, and
technically next doors aerial will be at a slightly different angle if
they are both pointing at the same point somewhere.

See my reply too...thre are three different directions round here!

There's a few areas round here where there's more than one direction
as well, makes it more fun when you have no idea where the hell you
are!
--
Regards,
Stuart.