Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Small Drill Presses For Electronics Repair

On Jul 8, 10:42 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article . com,

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jul 7, 1:23 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article .com,

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jul 6, 4:47 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 4, 9:15 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am considering getting a small drill press for electronics
repair...what suggestions does the group have?

Thanks

TMT

So I take it that no one has a Servo drill press to work on circuit
boards?

TMT

Exactly what (repair?) work would you want to do on circuit boards,
that
would require such a tool ...?

Arfa

To access circuits within a multilayer circuit board.

TMT

This thread might hold some interest if you'd quit playing 20 questions.
Why not paint a complete picture for us? What, for example, do you mean
by "access?" To what end? How might a drill press assist in that
endeavor? You've asked for recommendations for a tool, but it's
difficult to offer those recommendations with any validity if you don't
tell us what the hell you're doing, or plan to do. I'm going to keep an
open mind, pending some actual information from you, but so far I'm not
envisioning a drill press as a very useful tool for PCB surgery.- Hide
quoted text -

I am not playing 20 questions.

Based on your response it sounds like you have little on hands
electronics experience...drill presses are used in electronics
development and repair.

I asked for what others have for a drill press which used for
electronics work.

Thank you for your response.

TMT

Little hands on experience? Well, in repair, that's true. In electronics
manufacturing, I've got 22 years as production manager of a job shop.
Across the hall is a full machine shop including toolroom lathes and
mills, CNC equipment, machining centers, and turning centers.

I've put together a few million PCBAs, and I'll wager I've personally
hand soldered a few hundred thousand solder joints. I've never run into
any need to use a drill press in PCB work, save maybe making a
rudimentary prototype board, and for that I'd use a CNC mill, anyway.

Since you've been nothing but coy about your reason for inquiring, I'd
call that playing 20 questions. You have YET to tell us WHY you want a
drill press. Saying it's for "development and repair" is completely
meaningless. Cut into a multilayer board with a *drill press* in order
to make ECOs to the circuit? Have fun with that.- Hide quoted text -

I still say that you have little on hands experience...with
electronics and now I suspect with people.

As I said, specialized drill presses are used for modification of
buried circuit traces in circuit boards...this is a fact.

An educational link for you...

http://www.servoproductsco.com/html/drill_presses.html

As for being a manager, your responses tell me that you likely have a
problem dealing with people. If you are like this at work, I am glad
that I do not work with you...note I did not say work for you.

Thank you for your time....it has been educational.

TMT