Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rick Rick is offline

Default Dehumidifier

William R. Walsh wrote:

Hi!

Good luck. We bought a Sears - cough, cough, looks identical to LG units
- dehumidifier two summer seasons ago.

Wow...that's pretty bad reliability. Even with things getting cheaper and
somewhat less well made, the reliability of a sealed refrigeration system
should not be that bad.

In it's present state, the thing seems to have had a nervous breakdown.
We have seen no idication of compressor leakage, like the OP's concern.
But this is one of those "fully electronic" disasters with touch pad
controls. And, in theory, an electronic hygrometer of some sort that is
supposed to control the whole process. The fan switches on, the fan
switches off, the compressor starts banging away, the fan turns on, the
compressor shuts off, the fan keeps running... And for all that
"effort" it's condensing zero moisture. What it does at this point, and
when it decides to do it, seems to have no sense of reason at all. And
I'm certain if they determined that the electronic control touch pad is
at fault that it will cost more to replace that single part than the
$175.00 we paid for it.

Exasperating.

Rick